IIPC Publication Series
ISSN 1797-318X (online)
IIPC Publication Series is a refereed online series for monographs, edited collections and conference proceedings. The series is open for all scholars of popular culture. Proposals can be sent to the editor Kimi Kärki, kierka(at)utu.fi.
- Vol 1. History of Stardom Reconsidered: The refereed proceedings of the inaugural conference of IIPC, University of Turku, 9-11 November 2006. Edited by Kari Kallioniemi, Kimi Kärki, Janne Mäkelä & Hannu Salmi. Turku: International Institute for Popular Culture, 2007.
- Vol 2. Sounds of the Overground. Edited by Nedim Hassan and Holly Tessler (University of Liverpool). Turku: International Institute for Popular Culture, 2010.
- Vol 3. Imaginary Japan: Japanese Fantasy in Contemporary Popular Culture. Edited by Eija Niskanen (University of Helsinki). Turku: International Institute for Popular Culture, 2010.
- Vol. 4. The Jazz Chameleon. The Refereed Proceedings of the 9th Nordic Jazz Conference August 19–20, 2010, Helsinki, Finland. Edited by Janne Mäkelä (The Finnish Jazz & Pop Archive). Helsinki: The Finnish Jazz & Pop Archive/Turku: International Institute for Popular Culture, 2011.[Available also in print form. Further information, see Finnish Jazz & Pop Archive]
- Vol. 5. Music, Business and Law. Essays on contemporary trends in the music industry. Edited by Antti-Ville Kärjä, Lee Marshall and Johannes Brusila. Helsinki: IASPM Norden & Turku: International Institute for Popular Culture, 2012.
- Vol. 6. Modern Heavy Metal. Markets, Practices and Cultures. Edited by Toni-Matti Karjalainen & Kimi Kärki. Helsinki: Aalto University & Turku: International Institute for Popular Culture, 2015.
- Vol. 7. Holy Crap. Selected Essays on the Intersections of the Popular and the Sacred in Youth Cultures. Edited by Antti-Ville Kärjä & Kimi Kärki. Turku: International Institute for Popular Culture, 2016.
- Vol. 8. Turns and Revolutions in Popular Music. Proceedings from the XX Biennial Conference of IASPM, Canberra, Australia, 24th – 28th June 2019. Edited by Kimi Kärki. Turku: International Institute for Popular Culture, 2021.
Studies on Popular Culture
Publication series with Intellect Books
In April 2009, IIPC made a contract with Intellect Books on a series Studies on Popular Culture. The new series provides contributions to a critical understanding of popular culture and its history. The series covers a wide array of themes, including such fields as popular music, radio, film, and television, festivals and urban cultures, youth cultures and subcultures, consumption and material culture, sports, stardom and fandom. The series is open to methodologies and theoretical insights, especially on comparative and international approaches, and it places special emphasis on the transdisciplinary nature of popular culture studies. The series is edited at the International Institute for Popular Culture by Bruce Johnson and Hannu Salmi.
Released in the series:
Frontiers of Screen History. Imagining European Borders in Cinema, 1945–2010 (Raita Merivirta, Kimmo Ahonen, Heta Mulari and Rami Mähkä, eds.), 2013. More info from here.
Rhetoric of Modern Death in American Living Dead Films (Outi Hakola), 2015. More info from here.
Celebrity Philanthropy (Elaine Jeffreys & Paul Allatson, eds.), 2015. More info from here.
Englishness, Pop and Post-War Britain (Kari Kallioniemi), 2016. More info from here.
Memory, Space and Sound (Johannes Brusila, Bruce Johnson & John Richardson, eds.), 2016. More info from here.
Pingback: Welcome to IASPM Norden Web page! « IASPM Norden